Developed by Janet L. Szumal, Ph.D. and Robert A. Cooke, Ph.D.
Management/Impact™ (M/I) is a feedback tool developed especially for mid- to lower-level managers and others with management responsibilities.
Internationally proven and aligned with best-practice academic and psychometric standards, M/I uses self-assessment and colleague feedback to gauge managers’ strengths and areas for development – a vital step towards ensuring their ‘fit’ with your organisation’s vision, values and strategies.
How it works
M/I has two parts:
- M/I Self-Report Inventory: The manager self-assesses their management approach and the impact they’d like to have on others.
- M/I Description-by-Others Inventory: Up to 12 of the manager’s peers, higher-level managers and/or subordinates (all chosen by the manager) provide feedback on their management approach, impact and overall effectiveness.
The data collected in the surveys is processed electronically, and results and recommendations are presented to the manager in a comprehensive, confidential report. A Human Synergistics consultant or accredited practitioner then guides them through the findings and helps them to develop a strategy to close the gap between the way they’re perceived now and the manager who they want (and need) to be.
The M/I surveys take 20-30 minutes to complete; they are available online and on almost any digital device, as well as in hard copy.
We recommend that you apply M/I in tandem with the Group Styles Inventory™ and Organisational Culture Inventory®. Together, they enable an integrated approach to developing individual, group and organisational-level thinking and behavioural styles.
You can also use M/I alongside Leadership/Impact® as an integrated approach to developing your senior leaders.
The benefits for your organisation
M/I will help you get the best from your management team, with a dual focus on their management approach and their effects on (and the behaviour they encourage in) others. They’ll discover ways to improve their long-term effectiveness and influence, and ultimately strengthen their ability to meet your organisation’s goals.
M/I is particularly valuable as part of initiatives focused on management development, personal development, cultural development or organisational development. You can use it as the basis for:
- initiating or promoting management development
- coaching individual managers
- evaluating your management development initiatives
- promoting a healthy organisational culture
- enhancing organisational effectiveness.
Make M/I part of your drive for change
M/I is best applied by people who’ve been trained to use it. We offer two options:
- A trained and experienced Human Synergistics consultant can help you use M/I and implement the change you seek. Simply contact us to find a consultant who’s right for you.
- You can ‘do it yourself’ by arranging M/I accreditation for one or more of your team. This will ensure they have the skills to administer M/I and implement meaningful improvement strategies. To get started, register for an accreditation workshop.
If you would like to know more about Management/Impact™, or any of our wide range of diagnostic tools, please get in touch and we will be happy to assist you.