How it works
The GSI is designed for both temporary and permanent groups that are responsible for solving problems and making decisions. It can be used as a continual improvement exercise or when a group is embarking on, is partway through or has completed a problem-solving process.
The GSI has two parts:
- Individual group members respond to 72 statements describing aspects of teamwork behaviour, such as team effectiveness, solution acceptance, solution quality and team synergy. This takes about 15 minutes.
- The team members score their own surveys, and profile their individual and combined results. This takes 10-15 minutes.
The data collected in the surveys is processed electronically, and you receive a full report with the results and recommendations. A Human Synergistics consultant or accredited practitioner then guides you through the findings and the steps needed to help your team use the insights to change the way they think and therefore behave.
We recommend that you apply the GSI in tandem with Life Styles Inventory™ and the Organisational Culture Inventory®. Together, they enable an integrated approach to developing individual, group and organisational-level thinking and behavioural styles.
You can also use the GSI as an exercise for your team in combination with the survival simulation series of exercises.
The benefits for your organisation
The GSI is an excellent tool for helping teams and groups solve problems more effectively. It’s particularly valuable for team development initiatives such as:
- measuring and monitoring team performance
- creating a team environment that encourages innovation and idea-sharing
- sharpening team members’ analytical skills
- developing consensus-based decision-making
- improving the quality and acceptance of group and organisational decisions.
Make the GSI part of your drive for change
The GSI is best applied by people who’ve been trained to use it. We offer two options:
- A trained and experienced Human Synergistics consultant can help you to use the GSI and implement the change you seek. Simply contact us to find a consultant who’s right for you.
- You can ‘do it yourself’ by arranging GSI accreditation for one or more of your team. This will ensure they have the skills to administer the GSI and implement meaningful teamwork-improvement strategies. To get started, register for an accreditation workshop.
If you would like to know more about the Group Styles Inventory™, or any of our wide range of diagnostic tools, please get in touch and we will be happy to assist you.